After tasting that very disappointing Solero Mojito, I figured I could come up with something better so I did!
RECIPE: MOJITO ICE LOLLIES
INGREDIENTS for 4 ice lollies:
- 4 limes
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar (or demerara sugar)
- 1 tablespoon of dark rum (optional)
- Handful of fresh mint
- For topping – splash of dark rum/lime juice/water and sprinkle of coconut sugar/demerara sugar
- Place the water and sugar in blender jug and leave for five minutes until the sugar has dissolved.
- Set half a lime aside then remove the skin from the rest of the limes, quarter and place into blender jug with about a quarter of the mint.
- Leave for 10 minutes for sugar to dissolve then blend until smooth. There will be bits of lime flesh in the mixture which I love as I find a strong lime taste refreshing. If you don’t then juice the limes rather than putting the whole fruit into the blender.
- Slice and chop up the half lime (again leave this step out if you don’t love lime as much as I do) and arrange in ice lolly mould.
- Arrange half of the remaining mint in the bottom of ice lolly mould.
- Pour the mojito mixture into the mould then arrange the rest of the mint on the surface.
- Place containers into freezer.
- Just before serving, dip into rum (or lime juice/water) and sprinkle with coconut sugar.
NB: Don’t be tempted to add more rum to the mixture (ahem in the interests of science i might have tried) as it won’t freeze.