We have had 10 days in a row of scorching sunshine in London. Amazing. The hot weather is forecast to continue for at least another week. We are in a state of confusion. Day after day of sun. Some people seem to need an advice line to tell them how to cope with the psychological trauma of not being able to complain about the rain. Me I’m enjoying and avoiding the moaning minnies.
Watermelon is the most refreshing fruit ever invented. Seriously tell me one fruit more refreshing on a balmy day? Packed full of nutrients including Vitamins A, B1 and B6, C, lycopene and potassium, it is absolutely delicious on its own but for the rare occasion when you fancy doing something different with it here’s a quick drink that is summer in a glass.
WATERMELON LIMEADE RECIPE
Ingredients (makes 500ml):
- 2 cups of chopped watermelon (approx a quarter of baby watermelon)
- 2 limes juiced (few slices for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 500ml sparkling/still/coconut water
- Mint to garnish
- Chop up watermelon and remove the seeds. I like to use baby watermelon for this as I’m lazy and they have less seeds.
- Blend the watermelon, sugar and lime juice until smooth. I like my limeade to be quite tart so add more sugar or use less lime to suit your own taste.
- Pour limeade and mix with water to taste (I like to do a 50/50 mixture with sparking water)
- Voila – the most refreshing drink ever