I recently mentioned my discovery of and obsession with black rice. I’ve been experimenting using it in savoury and sweet recipes. Here’s a simple recipe that works for breakfast, brunch or even dessert. You do need to watch the pot to ensure the rice doesn’t dry out so not one for a morning when you’re in a rush. The recipes also includes another food discovery – coconut sugar (made from the nectar of the flowers so doesn’t taste of coconuts, it has a complex roasted nut/burnt honeycomb taste and a much lower GI than sugar).
During the mean winter months, this makes a warming, scrumptious change from porridge that transports you to tropical climes with each mouthful.
I think the coconut rice flavours work best with tropical fruits including pineapple, mango, pawpaw and dragon fruit but feel free to use whatever you fancy.
RECIPE: COCONUT BLACK RICE WITH DRAGON FRUIT & PAWPAW (VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE)
INGREDIENTS (4 servings):
Coconut rice porridge:
- 1 cup of black rice
- 1 1/2 cups of cold water
- 1 tin of coconut milk (400ml)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- Half a dragron fruit sliced
- Quarter pawpaw (papaya) chopped up
- 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
- Soak black rice in cold water for at least four hours or overnight.
- Rinse black rice well then place in pot with 1 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 tin of the coconut milk and the coconut sugar.
- Stir together and bring to boil then simmer on low heat for approx 45 minutes. While on simmer stir gently occasionally and keep checking that the rice hasn’t gone dry. If it does get dry add some of the remaining coconut milk. If there is any coconut milk left at end, add this to the rice when it is cooked, it will all get soaked up. The texture should be like rice pudding.
- Serve with fruit and desiccated coconut sprinkled on top.
- Tantalising Taste of Forbidden Rice: Black Rice Is Beautiful (wonderlusting.co.uk)