The week ahead (8 – 14 September 2014) is the Soil Association’s Organic Beauty Week celebrating organic beauty products. The Soil Association is hoping to encourage the public to make a small change to their beauty regime by switching one product to a certified organic beauty item. An array of brands and stores will be offering special discounts and prizes.
I don’t believe in scaremongering. I do believe that we should aim to minimise our damage to ourselves and the planet. Bombarding our bodies with unnecessary chemicals is not a good look – especially for my dry and sensitive skin. Buying organic beauty products can be a minefield though. “Natural” (zero legal meaning) and “chemical-free” are claims I often see on products and find misleading/annoying. Everything contains chemicals – even unicorns.
As with everything do your research as in the UK there are no legal standards for organic beauty products. A product can contain a drop of an organic ingredient and be labelled as “organic”. The Soil Association symbol on a beauty product means it has gone through stringent testing with proof that it contains at least 95% organic ingredients, all ingredients are GM-free, non-organic ingredients are being used as there is no organic equivalent available, and has been produced in an eco-friendly manner.
For Organic Beauty Week, two beauty box companies are offering special limited edition boxes with a selection of Soil Association certified organic skincare and beauty brands.
GLOSSYBOX Organic Beauty Box
The GLOSSYBOX Organic Box, worth £35 contains the following five beauty products:
- Bamford body wash
- Essential Care organic rose moisturiser
- Neal’s Yard Remedies lip gloss
- Odylique herb shampoo
- Pai camellia and rose gentle hydrating cleanser (this is one of my favourite cleansers, read my review here)
The GLOSSYBOX Organic box, £15 + p&P, is available from 8 September at www.glossybox.co.uk while stocks last.
SOUK SOUK OrGlamic Beauty Box
The Souk Souk OrGlamic box contains the following:
- Skin Blossom Age Resist Moisturiser
- Bloom Remedies Daily Balance Moisturiser
- Essential Care Organic Avocado Replenishing Cream
- Essential Care Organic First Aid Lotion
- Green People Age Defy+ Soft Buff Exfoliator
- BalmBalm Rose Geranium Face Balm
- BalmBalm Organic Muslin Cloth
- Nourish Smoothing Hand Lotion
- Nourish Golden Glow Face Shimmer sample
The Souk Souk OrGlamic box, £22 + p&p, is available now at www.souksouk.co.uk while stocks last.
For details of all activities taking place during Organic Beauty Week visit: www.soilassociation.org/organicbeautyweek