I am nuts for pistachios at the moment and can’t seem to stop putting them into everything I cook. Pistachios are one of the lower fat nuts and are rich in certain nutrients including lutein and beta-carotene, both good for the eyes and skin elasticity. Spelt and oats are nutrient packed, with a lower Glycemic Index so great for slow release energy.
Here’s a quick, easy, healthy nutrient-packed cookie recipe. Great for breakfast or to carry around for an on-the-go snack. Tasty goes without saying really – it’s a cookie so of course it is!
Recipe: Carrot, Pistachio, Coconut Oat Spelt Cookies (vegan, wheat-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free)
Ingredients (makes 10-12 cookies or 6 big cookies):
- Half cup wholegrain spelt flour
- Half cup oats
- Quarter cup desiccated coconut
- Half teaspoon baking powder
- Quarter teaspoon salt
- Third cup pistachio
- Half a medium sized carrot grated
- Quarter cup maple syrup
- Quarter cup coconut oil melted
- Heat oven to 190C.
- Put all the dry ingredients (except nuts) in a bowl and mix together thoroughly
- Stir in the nuts and carrots
- Whisk the melted coconut oil and maple syrup together then add to the bowl so everything binds together. Add water by the teaspoon full if mixture is still a little dry
- Scoop a tablespoon of mixture, shape into ball then flatten on baking tray
- Bake on middle shelf for 15 minutes or until golden brown (10 – 15 minutes depending on size of ball and your oven).
- Leave to cool
Here are a few more recipes if you love pistachios as much as I do: