I’m always happy to discover a new natural and organic range catering for darker skin tones. There is still a serious lack of options available but I’ll save revisiting that topic for another day! Today I’m taking a look at the LuvLips range from Luv , an American company founded by make-up artist, Melodie Ray Davis-Bundrage. Luv offers natural makeup that has been particularly formulated to be pigmented enough for darker skin tones.
LUVMINERALS LUVLIPS* LIPSTICK REVIEW
If you follow me on Instagram you’ll have seen these cuties already. Such a delightful, smile-making illustration on the packaging box. The lipstick itself is housed in a black brushed metal tube.
The LuvLips lipsticks are made with 80% organic ingredients consisting of organic waxes, butters, plant oils and botanical extracts and mineral pigments. No synthetic colours, parabens, talc, or mineral oils are used. It does contain phenoxyethanol as a preservative.
One swipe gives fantastic colour payoff which glides on without any dragging. The texture is incredibly buttery, not a surprise looking at the rich butters on the ingredients list, which feels super comfortable on the lips. However in very warm weather (we had an Indian Summer in London), that means some of these can start to feel a little soft so keep in a cool spot! The finish is also glossier in warm weather compared to more of a creme finish usually.
The colours last what I consider to be a reasonable amount of time, greasy food aside. They are not super long-lasting but I wouldn’t expect that with a creamy formula and they wear off evenly with no stain around the edges of lips.
LUVMINERALS LUVLIPS LIPSTICK SWATCHES
- Crazy For You: a pastel pink, not a colour I would usually go for but somehow this works with a smokey eye.
- Infatuated: a gold with some subtle shimmer that looks pretty layered on other colours
- Captivated: a deep mauve plummy brown that makes a great nude on darker skin tones
- Magic: a classic red that we all need. It’s been a popular choice making 2nd place so far in #100lippydays
- Lovesick: a delightfully deep burgundy red shade that’s perfect for autumn winter.
- Dearly Beloved: a deep aubergine that I adore. And it references Prince. What more can you ask for. The colour might look intimidating if you’re not used to deep shades but it applies a tiny bit sheerer than the other colours so you can build up.
LuvLips is an absolutely gorgeous lipstick formula. Truly luv at first swipe!
LuvLips lipstick, 4.5g, £15.86/$26 luvmineralcosmetics.net
LuvLips lipstick Ingredients: Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil* • Cera Alba (Beeswax)* • Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax • Candelilla (Euphorbia cerifera ) Wax • Helianthus Annus (Sunflower) Seed Oil* • Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)* • Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter* • Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil* • Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil* • Cetyl Alcohol • Phenoxyethanol • Potassium Sorbate • Origanum Vulgare (Oregano) Leaf Extract* • Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme) Extract* • Cinnamomum Zeylancum (Cinnamon) Bark Extract* • Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract* • Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract* • Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal) Root Extract • Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Extract* • Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract • Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E) • Vanilla Fragrance May Contain: • Mica • Titanium Dioxide • Red Iron Oxide • Black Iron Oxide • Yellow Iron Oxide