Another chapter in my epic task of keeping track of exactly how many beauty and skincare products I use up in a year.
August 2017 Green Beauty Empties
Read on to see which my thoughts on the products I’ve used and would snog, marry or avoid!
SNOG (good products that I thoroughly enjoyed having in my life but am not quite ready to make a commitment right now due to having an extensive harem of products). I.E MIGHT REPURCHASE
- Kimberley Sayer Gentle Almond & Lavender Face Scrub: a pleasant physical face scrub with the faint smell of proper marzipan. I really liked using this as an exfoliating mask.
- Greenfrog Botanic Geranium and Peppermint Soapberry Handwash: made with natural soapberries, more pleasant scent than the body wash I’ve previously used with a slight lather that didn’t strip my dry hands.
- Splat Biomed Superwhite with Coconut: 98% natural toothpaste made without the usual ‘nasties’ and made with coconut oil and papaya & pineapple enzymes which are supposed to gently whiten teeth. I can’t say I noticed a difference in whiteness but it was pleasant tasting and a nice texture to use.
MARRY (products that I loved using, have or want to have a long term relationship with and plan an ongoing commitment to): I.E. WILL REPURCHASE
- Sukin Facial Recovery Serum: part of Sukin’s Super Green range made with kale, spirulina, and parsley. It smelt like a green smoothie and helped keep my skin glowing. One of the best budget friendly serums I’ve ever used.
- A’kin Cleansing Micellar Water: my favourite micellar water EVER. Fabulous on my dry, sensitive skin. Read a detailed review here.
- Supernatural Beauty Genesis Cleanser: rich, nourishing oil cleanser made with a delectable blend of plant oils. The top ingredient is camellia oil which my skin loves. Perfect cleanser for the colder months when my skin gets dryer and needs more soothing.
- Kinn Beauty Body Oil: I adored the comforting and uplifting scent that was like a hug. An expertly blended mix of ylang ylang, lavender and tangerine. The oil was light yet nourishing, absorbing quickly. Extremely dry skin would probably need something richer. Kinn were a new launch this year. Read more about the ecochic range here.
- Mallow and White Soothe Cleansing Oil: I’ll repeat what I told The Beauty Shortlist this is a happy sigh-inducing, soothing, 100% natural cleanser with the most divinely cucumbery scent you ever did smell. On a hot day it’s as refreshing as a G&T, on a cold day it’s summer in a bottle. A full size bottle is on my list when I’ve used up my current cleansing oils.
- Kiehls Actively Correcting & Beautifying BB Cream: this is the best BB cream I’ve tried. Maybe because Kiehl’s does skincare rather than makeup they’ve thrown all that knowledge in. Despite the high SPF, it doesn’t make me look like Caspar the Ghost and there is no greyness on the skin at all. The coverage is on the sheer side but enough to even skin tone for a My Skin But Better look with a dewy finish on my dry skin (oilier skin types might not get on so well with it).
- Youngblood Concealer: a creamy concealer that worked under eyes without creasing as well as covering blemishes.
- Ziyanda Kalahari Desert Salt & Coffee Body Scrub: the best coffee scrub I’ve used this year. When my shins were flaking like croissants (lovely mental image I know) this sorted them out. Best of all it washes off without leaving any residue just smooth, silky skin with no need for moisturiser. All natural ingredients, no microbeads and 5% of profits going to help vulnerable children in Swaziland.
AVOID PECK ON THE CHEEK (again this month there are no avoids. These products were all perfectly fine but they didn’t rock my world). I.E. WON’T REPURCHASE
- Zeen Argan Oil: This is a lovely argan oil but the packaging and price mean it’s a one-off purchase or great as a gift. You can read more about it here.
- Natural Extracts Shea Butter Shower Gel: this was a present and a classic case of greenwashing with the word ‘natural’ emblazoned on the label. The ingredients including SLS however weren’t so natural, I ended up using this for cleaning my brushes.
- Sundari Gentle Gel Cleanser: Sundari was one of the first East meets West Ayurvedic skincare ranges. This was a gel cleanser that did the job in hot weather when my skin is less dry. It did have a gently foaming action though which is not something I go for.
- Yes To Tomatoes Detoxifying Charcoal Mud Mask: this mask is designed for combination skin and mine is dry. It didn’t aggravate my skin at all and I enjoyed the drama of the grey mask but I don’t think it actually does anything for my skin.
So that’s another 15 products used up, 91 for 2017 so far!
Do follow me on Instagram to keep up to date with what I’m currently using up.