It’s very easy to forget that organic beauty is still quite niche. This summer with various weddings and hen parties I spent a lot of time with larger groups of women and when I mentioned the names of well-known (to me) green beauty brands that I use, most of the group had never heard of them! Taking myself out of the green beauty bubble I live in, it’s not really surprising. Mainstream brands are available at hundreds if not thousands of counters nationwide and in every High Street whereas many eco-friendly ones can be only be found in one or a handful of boutiques throughout the whole country.
As I got a few questions, it inspired me to put a spotlight on some of these brands for those who are less familiar with them.
SPOTLIGHT ON KJAER WEIS
Today let’s take a closer look at Kjaer Weis, one of my favourite luxury beauty brands, green or otherwise. Created by Danish makeup artist, Kirsten Kjaer Weis in 2010.
Kjaer Weis state: “Kjær Weis cosmetics was created to fulfill a need for natural and organic color makeup that doesn’t compromise luxury or performance. Years of research and development have gone into what you see here: a high-performance makeup, created from the most luxurious organic ingredients in the world.”
The range is manufactured in Italy and certified organic by CCPB, the Italian certification body. This means at least 95% organic ingredients (of those that can be certified) and no petrochemicals, silicones, parabens, artificial colourings or fragrances.
I don’t really get the perception that natural and luxury are mutually exclusive. What’s more luxurious than products created from the finest materials naturally available?
I make no apologies for the fact that beautiful design makes my heart go boom boom. Firstly let’s swoon over the pretty boxes and packaging shall we.
Everything comes in red leather like boxes that immediately makes you want to treasure the contents.
Kjaer Weis obviously has an immense respect for design. The eye-catching metallic, architectural looking packaging is designed by award-winning creative director Marc Atlan (brains behind amongst other things the iconic perfume bottles from Comme de Garcon, Helmut Lang, Tom Ford etc) and his name is even stamped on the case. The product names too are charming. My foundation shade is ‘Delicate’ which makes a change from the usual Chocolate and Caramels!
There is something elegant about a refillable makeup case. It reminds me of Old Hollywood and treasured heirlooms. However the metal cases are rather weighty. Which means you can’t just casually toss it in to your handbag…unless you want to cause some damage. I personally love it and don’t mind the investment but if you don’t want to shell out for the packaging, you really don’t have to. Just get the refills, they fit easily in a Z palette.
With Kjaer Weis it’s easy to be enamoured of the packaging so does the substance match the style?
The short answer is yes! I’ve used everything in the range so I’m giving you the lowdown on every Kjaer Weis product, based on my personal experience:
- Kjaer Weis Cream Blush: this is one of my absolute favourite cream blush formulae. The blushes are pigmented, creamy yet long lasting and melt in to the skin for a natural glowy look. The shades ‘Joyful’, ‘Above and Beyond’ and ‘Lovely’ in particular are fabulous on darker skin tones.
- Kjaer Weis Eye Shadow: The best pressed powder eyeshadows I’ve used from a natural brand. Great palette of sophisticated colours, pigmented and applies with no chalkiness or fallout. The shade ‘Charmed’ is my go-to everyday colour. Next on my lustlist are some of the bolder colours.
- Kjaer Weis Foundation: I praised the Green Beauty Gods when I discovered the newest shade ‘Delicate’ is my perfect match. Depending on how you apply this is a sheer, that can be built up to, full coverage foundation with a gorgeous velvet finish….. as long as you have normal skin. This isn’t one for us dry skin lovelies to just slap on I’m afraid unless your skin is suitably prepped. It clings to any dry patches though strangely it looks better on the skin about half an hour after it’s been applied. For every day use I think it’s best suited to normal and combination skin types. I wear the darkest shade available so shade range could be better.
- Kjaer Weis Highlighter*: cool almost lilac toned highlighter that doesn’t look like it would work on my dark skin but does. You only need to use a tiny amount unless you want to go full discoball. I like to use in inner eyes and on cupid’s bow where it catches the light in a lovely natural way. On the cheeks I feel the shimmer is too noticeable.
- Kjaer Weis Bronzer: this bronzer has a fair bit of shimmer and on darker skin like mine, this is more of a highlighter. Blended it’s a bronzey gold that looks great with warm undertoned skin.
- Kjaer Weis Lip Tint: these are great when you want an understated and elegant lip look. It gives a rather lovely almost petal velvety finish to the lips. Depending on the colour, they are also very comfortable to wear leaving my lips hydrated enough that I don’t have to apply lip balm after use even when it’s worn off.
- Kjaer Weis Mascara*: good for a natural, daytime look. It doesn’t irritate my super sensitive eyes and leaves my lashes feeling soft and well conditioned, none of that crunchy flakey mess. It doesn’t add much definition for me though so not a mascara for when you want vavavoom.
- Kjaer Weis Lipstick: the latest Kjaer Weis product to launch in the past few weeks. The green beauty world has gone nuts for them. The packaging is gorgeous like everything else and I can see the appeal of a proper lipstick but though I loved a couple of the colours (see swatches here), they just didn’t blow my socks off in the I WANT WANT WANT way I usually get. Maybe I’m lipsticked out!
Overall I do think lines created by makeup artists tend to be ones you can rely on and Kjaer Weis is no exception. Kjaer Weis is the embodiment of ecoluxe. Refillable so sustainable not to mention sexy packaging, certified organic ingredients and products that perform. Style and substance hell yeah. If you looking for a natural and organic alternative to the Tom Fords of the beauty world, Kjaer Weis is your best bet.
I’ve heard whispers that skincare will be joining the range in the New Year and can’t wait to see what’s in store!
Do you use Kjaer Weis? What are your favourites?
For more information and stockists visit kjaerweis.com
P.S Stay tuned for another post with swatches of errrthang!
*sample provided for review purposes